The comfort and care of our patients is our highest mission. We pledge to provide the finest customer service, a relaxing environment, and the finest quality dental treatments that technology and education will allow. The Exceptional Dentistry Experience instills well-being, personalized care, and fulfills unexpressed desires.
Our dental team at Exceptional Dentistry is dedicated to providing each patient with personalized, attentive dental care to help you maintain the smile you want! Each member of our team is highly trained in their areas of expertise, as well as educated in every procedure we offer. We welcome you to schedule your one-on-one visit with our dentist, Dr. James Powell, and his team today. You are welcome to call, email, or stop by our practice any time!
Dr. James Powell is the founder and CEO of Exceptional Dentistry. What began as a childhood career dream is now an impactful dental practice in Palmdale, California. With over 30 years experience and 10,000 hours in advanced education, Dr. Powell is the dentist of choice for over 1,000 patients in four different states.Dr. Powell has been featured on the local TV station as an expert in physiological dentistry, alternative sleep apnea treatments, and the mouth-body connection. He also conducts a monthly study club with other local health professionals for advancing patient care. Dr. Powell has worked closely with Dr. Bruce Crispin, former director of UCLA’s Cosmetic Dentistry Center, and is a Fellow of the world-renowned Las Vegas Institute of Advanced Dental Studies.Dr. Powell has been a part of the Antelope Valley for more than 50 years. He attended local elementary schools and graduated from Antelope Valley High School and Antelope Valley College. He played Little League, Pony League baseball, and worked in his father’s business, Green Pastures Dairy on Division Street in Lancaster. He married his high school sweetheart and they raised their five children in the Antelope Valley, where they are surrounded by family and lifelong friends. The family enjoys hiking, camping, swimming, and many other outdoor activities that allow them to take advantage of what the desert and the state of California has to offer.
Education, Certification, and Licensing
He pursued undergraduate studies in biology at the University of the Pacific, and also attended California State University of Northridge for additional courses in science and business. Later, he graduated from the prestigious Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, earning his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree.
It is Dr. Powell’s vision to positively affect the lives of as many people as possible, and believes one way to do this is by delivering the most advance treatment options available. Because of this belief, he has diligently pursued higher learning from the following facilities and organizations:
- Antelope Valley High School, 1973
- Antelope Valley College, 1974
- University of the Pacific, 1979
- California State University at Northridge, 1980
- Loma Linda University – Doctor of Dental Surgery, 1984
- Myotronics (Advanced Occlusion and Case Finishing), 1993, 1998-2000
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (Continuing Dental Courses), 1995
- International College of Cranio-Mandibular Orthopedics, 1996
- Esthetic Professionals (Advanced Fixed Prosthodontics and Occlusion), 2000-2001
- CEREC® CAD-CAM, 2003, 2004, 2010
- Nobel Biocare (Implant Restorations), 2004, 2005; Placing and Restoring Implants, 2005
- Las Vegas Institute (Advanced Dental Studies), 2000, 2007-2009, Received Fellow Award
- 3D Cone Beam Computed Tomography, 2009
- Member of International Association of Physiologic Aesthetics (IAPA), since 2009
- Advanced Radiological CBCT Interpretation, Computer-Guided Implant Surgery, 2010
- Scottsdale Center for Dentistry (Level 6 CT Guided Implant Surgery), 2010
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies (Primespeak), 2011
- ClearCorrect™ (Clear Aligner Therapy), 2011
- Scottsdale Center for Dentistry/Academy of General Dentistry (3rd annual CEREC Owners Symposium), 2011
- SybronEndo (Essential Endo), 2011
- Impant Direct Sybron Int. (Multi-Dimensional Approach to Implant Dentistry), 2011
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies (Non-Surgical Endodontics), 2011
- Advanced Treatment Planning Seminar, 2011, 2012
- The Shield Group (Infection Control), 2011, 2012
- Nobel Biocare (Esthetic Alliance – Module 1), 2011, 2012
- Esthetic Professionals (Surgical Implant Placement, Grafting and Prosthetic Design Series), 2012
- Myotronics (The Power of Neuromuscular Dentistry), 2012
- FOY Dentures (Training Program), 2012
- Patterson Dental (CEREC Study Club), 2012
- Patterson Dental (Placing Implants with CEREC and GALILEOS), 2012
- Great Lakes Education Center, 2012
- LVI (The Physiological Approach to Treating OSA), 2012
- LVI (Post Core Continuum), 2013
- LVI (The Oxygen Advantage), 2016
- ACT 260 Lasers in Restorative Dentistry NightLase® Smoothlase™, 2013
- ACT 260 Lasers in Restorative Dentistry Laser Operative, Endo, Perio (2 courses), 2013
- LVI (Cranio-Cervical Physical Therapy’s Role in Neuromuscular Dentistry), 2013
- LVI (Post Core Continuum: Level 1), 2013
- LVI (The Physiological Approach to Treating OSA: Level 2), 2013
- LVI (Practical Advanced TMD: Level 2), 2013
- LVI (Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders and Myofunctional Therapy), 2016
- Great Lakes Education Center (CEREC Owner’s Tips Tricks), 2013
- The Shield Group (Infection Control), 2013
- LVI (Pediatric Orthodontics), 2013
- LVI (Neuromuscular Ortho Mechanics), 2013
- SPEAR (Joint Examination), 2015
- SPEAR (Surgically Assisted Osteogenic Orthodontics), 2015
- SPEAR (The Gummy Smile – Differential Diagnosis), 2015
- SPEAR (Treating Significant Interior Gingival Recession), 2015
- SPEAR (Endo Vs. Extraction in a Fractured Interior Tooth), 2015
- SPEAR (Restorative Solutions for Failed Implants), 2015
- SPEAR (Integrating Aesthetics and Functions in Wear), 2015
- SPEAR (Complex Dental Cases), 2015
- SPEAR (Functional Treatment Planning), 2016
- SPEAR (Wear and Tooth Size Discrepancy in the Ortho/Restorative Case), 2016
- SPEAR (Functional Evaluation), 2016
- SPEAR (Diagnosing and Treatment Planning Interior Open Bites), 2016
- SPEAR (Patient Goals in the Comprehensive Exam), 2016
- LVI (Physiologic Orthodontics level 1), 2016
- IAPA (Evolutionary Changes in Physiologic Based Dentistry and Advanced Scan Interpretation), 2016
- IAPA (Creating a Computerized TAG Bite for a Sleep Appliance), 2016
- IAPA (Environmental Toxins and Their Relationship to: Heart Disease, Osteoporosis, Dementia, and Cancer), 2016
- IAPA (OSA Begins in Childhood), 2016
- LVI (Controlled Arch Orthodontics and Case Finishing), 2017
- LVI (Tactical Advanced TMD), 2017
- LVI (Full Safe Orthodontic “F2O” Physiologic Orthodontics Level 2), 2017
- SPEAR (Unesthetic Anterior Implants), 2017
- SPEAR (Orthodontic Extrusion and Implant Sites), 2017
- SPEAR (Patient Education), 2017
- SPEAR (Multiple Missing Teeth and the Complex Ortho/Surgical Restorative Case), 2017
- SPEAR (Anterior Trauma and Fractured Teeth), 2017
- SPEAR (Traumatic Avulsion of an Anterior Segment in a Very Young Patient), 2017
Cynthia is a Registered Dental Hygienist with over 25 years of experience in the dental field. She started as a dental assistant before she completed her hygiene schooling at Pasadena College. She is trained in periodontal treatments and advanced instrumentation and is certified in soft tissue laser therapy. Her passion for the dental field lead her to volunteer across the border at places such as the local orphanage.Cynthia enjoys working at Exceptional Dentistry because of the family atmosphere. She really values working at a dental office with the latest technology because she feels that it makes the patient experience so much more comfortable. She is also passionate about Dr. Powell’s approach to dentistry — which focuses on treating root causes vs. band-aid fixes for symptoms. In her spare time, Cynthia enjoys interior designing, cooking, gardening and yard work. She and her husband also love visiting their Washington home.
Terrie is a Registered Dental Assistant who graduated from Western College of Dental Assisting in 1979. She holds licenses for Registered Dental Assisting in California, Coronal Polishing, and Dental Radiology. She is also certified in TMD and sleep apnea treatments. Terrie attends continuing education courses to keep up with the ever-changing field of dentistry in order to offer our patients the most up-to-date and exceptional dentistry. She attends courses at the prestigious Las Vegas Institute for Dental Assistants.Terrie started her career in Lancaster, then moved to North Carolina, then to Colorado, and back to Lancaster. She married her high school sweetheart, has two great kids, and even a couple of grandkids. In her spare time, Terrie enjoys painting, arts and crafts of all kinds, reading, baking, and spending time with her grandkids.
Peggy is a Registered Nurse who graduated from San Bernardino Valley College with an AS in 1982. She has attended courses at the prestigious Las Vegas Institute for the Buteyko Breathing Method and has been trained by Joy Moeller in Myofunctional Therapy. She has also received advanced training by Dr. Shiffman in laser therapy for palatal bio stimulation.
Peggy enjoys working at Exceptional Dentistry because she finds the teamwork here to be fun. She really looks forward to being of service to the people that we see. She has a special talent for making everyone feel comfortable and loves all the technology in the office because she’s seen the difference that it’s made in people’s lives.
In her spare time, Peggy enjoys interior painting, reading, skiing, exercising and going for walks. She also loves spending time with her grandkids.
Aja went to Charter College and received her certification for coronal polishing and radiograph safety. She enjoys working in the dental field because she enjoys serving others and being able to help them get the smile of their dreams.She enjoys working at Exceptional Dentistry because of the high level of customer care, where each patient is treated based on individual needs. She also loves the technology that is in the office because it allows us to be proactive instead of reactive about patient needs.Aja loves to spend her free time baking and lounging with a good book. She also loves to spend as much time as she can with her family.
Kendra holds a BA in Criminal Justice, with a minor in Business. She has attended marketing courses with Paul Moon, the President/Chief Marketing Officer at PanCom International Inc. She is also five-star certified through Jay Geier’s Scheduling Institute.Kendra likes working at Exceptional Dentistry because it has the latest advancements in technology, and the team performs state-of-the-art techniques on a daily basis, which gets our patients excited about dentistry. She loves how the team is incredibly knowledgeable, empathetic, fun, and professional.In her spare time, Kendra enjoys music, drawing, DYI projects, the beach, and spending time with her loved ones. She is also a licensed cosmetologist and professional makeup artist. She plans to start her own makeup company.